So you want to apply to teach via our site! Great! Before starting the application, please note the following:
- We can only accept teachers of their native language. The one exception is German, where we may accept tutors with a C2 level.
- You need to have some teaching experience. Tutors with online teaching experience will have a higher chance of success. If you are a Spanish or an Italian tutor, online teaching experience and excellent reviews will usually be required due to the very high level of competition.
- You must have a good, reliable internet connection, a decent computer and webcam, and be comfortable with giving video lessons via Skype (not just audio). Your internet download/upload speed needs to be at least 2Mbps. You can test it here.
- You must be willing to offer trial sessions for free. This is usually how tutors gain students. The sessions are just 30 minutes long and give the student an opportunity to get to know you and how you teach. We tested a paid trial but it resulted in far fewer students signing up. On average, 50% of students sign up for lessons, so it does work, but it can require a little patience.
- As with other online platforms, if you teach via Lingoci you will do so as an independent freelancer/contractor, rather than an employee or partner. Among other things, this means you’ll be responsible for dealing with your own taxes, you will be free to work when you want & to teach how you want etc. (You can see full teacher terms here).